Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bright Things Die

I don't understand the world today. But I know I will get over it. My heart feels heavy because in my head I can still hear the awful sound that her mother made when I broke the news to them. It was an animal sound. The sound of grief beyond bearing. These are things you never get used to. She begged me to save her child but I could not. Two days ago, I saved a woman who had attempted suicide not once, not twice, but three times. Three times her heart stopped and I brought her back, and she woke up today none the worse for wear. But yesterday I was helpless. I don't understand the world today. The young die. The old live. Those who love their lives lose it. Thoe who hate their lives keep it. I know I will get over it. But today as I got ready to go to work, I could still hear her mother's voice in my head. Please, please save my child. Save my daughter, please. But it was not within our power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anecdotes have had parts fictionalised and potential identifiers altered in order to protect patient confidentiality.