Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Alzheimer's

Have you seen your mother, Barry? She was just stepping out to get a cup of tea. You know how she is, her and her tea. She’s always been a fan of tea. Now me, I’m a coffee man. I forgot to ask her to make me a cup of coffee. I should have… God, I’d kill for a cup… But she should be back soon. Maybe she’ll have remembered to bring me coffee. She’s a wonderful woman, your Ma. Oh we had some good times…. We met in – in… gosh, I can’t remember, where was it we met?

Jakarta, Pa.

Jakarta… you know, I’ve always struggled with that… sounds too much like that other place, that island one, the one that’s sunny –

You mean Jamaica?

Ja…may…ca…. It doesn’t sit well on my tongue, no sir! But those were the days… Oh! I’m sorry, sir, I was just lost in my thoughts. Are you here to visit someone? I can someone to help you. There’s this little button here, I push it when I need help. Marvelous thing. Who are you visiting? Funny, you look like someone I used to know… a long time ago, it was –

Pa, I’m Peter. Your son, don’t you remember?

Peter? Is that really you? You’re so tall! Your ma would be so proud to see you. Where is that woman? May! May! Peter’s come to visit! She was just here a moment ago. May! Oh, I think she’s gone to the store to get some milk. Anyway, how are you? It’s been such a while since you came to visit. You know, this place isn’t the same without you… it gets so quiet here. I don’t like it but they won’t let me turn on that – that thing – the one that shows pictures, I forget the word –

The TV?

Yes, that’s it. Anyway, they don’t let me turn it on. I bet if your mother was here she’d say screw ‘em and turn it on all the same. Where is she? May! Gosh, will that woman ever come? Have you seen your mother, Barry?

Pa – I don’t know how to say this – she’s gone two years now….

Gone? Oh my god! It’s not true, tell me it’s not true! May! My May… How’s that possible? What will I do without her? Oh, I must call the boys and tell them… whatever will I say? May…

Why, it’s you, Barry! When did you arrive?

It’s Peter, Pa….

So it is! Peter, would you go get your mother? Outside, at the nurses’ desk, they’ll know where to find her. I think she just stepped out for some air. She loves to socialize, you know. Most days I have a heck of a time tracking her down, always did. Be a dear, Peter, just pop out and ask the nurse where your Ma is.

All right, Pa. You stay here. I’ll go ask in a minute.

Ah, what a good fellow! I hope you find that woman. May! I swear she doesn’t pay me any mind at all… women! I wonder if they’ll let me turn on that thing… that – what did you call it again? The one that shows the pictures. I wonder if they have pictures of that place I liked so much. The one with the beaches. That’s where – why are you crying, Barry? Don’t cry… your old Pa is here… it’s going to be all right. Did you skin your knee?



---written for Creative Writing (Fiction) course

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anecdotes have had parts fictionalised and potential identifiers altered in order to protect patient confidentiality.