Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Retail Therapy

Well, it's official - my first paycheck has led to a bout of retail madness.

I was warned that the first few months out of residency, the sudden payrise would go to my head.

In the last 48hrs, I have bought:

Energy Take Classic 5.1 surround sound speaker system ($449.99, reg $899.99)

A Nespresso machine ($199, reg $399)

Nespresso capsules (1 capsule = 1 cup of gourmet espresso, at $0.58 a pop) - I bought 250 for $145 with freebies thrown in, and am looking forward to drinking 60-cent lattes for the rest of my life (I've been guilty lately of spending $4 a day on lattes)

and am *going* to buy

Pioneer 7.1 HDMI VSX919 receiver for $448.99 at its regular price.

I knew I wanted to set up my home theatre system and my original budget of $2K has been halved - but then the Nespresso deal came along and I have been looking for an espresso machine. Having read plenty good reviews about Nespresso (it's even won the Italians over!) I figure why not.

And so the home improvement continues. Next up, I have my eye on a Dyson vacuum cleaner, but really balk at paying upwards of $600 for it. Also, I need more furniture - another sofa, loveseat, bed for the guestroom, etc etc.

Kaching! Kaching!

The thing I've discovered about owning a home is that although I am the only one living in it and really don't care too much that the place is not fully furnished and has 3 empty (literally, except for my suitcases and clutter) rooms with no bed/wall hangings/curtains etc etc - I feel somewhat embarassed to have any visitors over...

At least I'll have espressos to offer.

3 comments:

  1. Having worked so hard to get where you are now, you should enjoy 'the fruits of your labour'. But don't go overboard.
    Love
    Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're going to buy a vacuum cleaner, don't settle for anything other than a Dyson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can your machine make hot chocolate too? ahahaha... we're moving house in 2 weeks' time but it's nowhere near as fun as buying things (or, in your case, toys!) for your own place.

    ReplyDelete

All anecdotes have had parts fictionalised and potential identifiers altered in order to protect patient confidentiality.